Saturday, January 17, 2009

Where's George?








Today, Saturday, the 17th, was our third outing in Switzerland/Italy. Although we did not actually cross the Italian border, it was clear that there was a heavy Italian influence in the city of Lugano. The train ride was about 2 ½ hours but we entertained ourselves by playing cards, naming the 50 states and 44 presidents, and playing Charades. My mom was not very good. I was surprised considering all the practice she has had at the grocery store. Lake Lugano is one of three lakes in Southern Switzerland that border Italy. Lake Como, the third lake, was made famous by the one and only George Clooney, something my mom reminded us of on an hourly basis throughout the day. Our mission for the day was to find George. We failed but we still had a good time enjoying the beauty that is Lugano. My dad was very impressed with some of the old churches that dated back to the 13th century. My mom and I enjoyed the hot chocolate and interesting fashions. It seems like fur is the thing to be wearing this season. We ate pizza at one of the ten million pizzerias along the lake. We were also pleasantly surprised when our 7 dollar hot cocoa came with cookies for free!. My dad was not as happy and mumbled, “nothing is free, Cheryl” as he paid the 18.50 swiss franks. If you get a chance to visit my parents I would definitely make Lugano one of your main attractions. It’s worth the 2 ½ hour train ride and maybe you’ll get lucky and spot George hanging around one of the local pizzerias.

No comments: